Novel coronavirus update
Coronavirus / Covid 19
What is Covid 19?
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a type of coronavirus The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of a new continuous cough and/or high temperature.
We understand that the public need timely and accurate information about COVID19, which has been declared as a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
Everyone is being reminded to follow Public Health England hygiene advice:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds (see advice below)
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
We have prepared a list of useful links for you so that you can access the appropriate national and local advice and guidance quickly and easily:
Local useful links:
Both councils are also contactable by telephone:
For issues or concerns regarding adults, please contact the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 0300 456 0111 and for children 0300 456 0108.
Swindon Borough Council
All issues and concerns should be directed through 01793 463 000 in the first instance.
National useful links:
- NHS – Online symptom checker
- Government advice
- Government Stay at home guidance
- Government guidance for businesses and employers
- Gov.uk – what you need to know:
- Travel advice
You can also follow a number of key organisations on Twitter
- Department of Health and social care - @DHSCgovuk
- Public Health England - @PHE_uk
No further information will be uploaded onto this website regarding COVID-19 because the best sources of information are signposted above.